Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bad Mommy

I have been a bad Mommy lately. 

I'll start with Halloween.  Due to a combination of issues, which I won't get in to,  I have no pics of Ricky from Halloween.  Either he was way too fast and I was busy chasing him to keep him out of the street or I just stupidly forgot the memory card to the camera.  There are a handful of reasons but regardless, I have no pics and I am pretty bummed about it.

Then when I was in Target on Halloween Day I was cruising through the children's section and noticed the infamous Monkey Backpack.   I have been considering one for a while just because Ricky is so active and there are times when I fear for his safety.  I want him to be able to explore to his hearts content but I want to keep him out of the road.  Just buying this was a HUGE step for me.  I had asked Rick about it in the past and he wasn't really open to the idea of having one.  But that day in Target, I just had to pick one up.  I was so worried about Ricky's safety during trick or treat.  So that night when we went out I strapped it on but I didn't connect the "leash" part.  It was just on his back and he didn't mind it at all.  When I did attach the lead, he still could care less.  But what he soon discovered was if he pulled at it and I pulled at it, all I did was slow him down.  He began to just start falling down because he could, knowing he wouldn't have a hard fall since something was slowing him down.  Big fail.  It didn't do a darn bit of good.  I was open to it.  I tried it.  It didn't work.  I know they work fabulous for other folks but it just didn't work for me. 

Another Bad Mommy moment.  I picked Ricky up from daycare this week.  He was in timeout when I got there.  He had been flinging the Fisher Price phone around by the cord and nearly hit another kid.  Ricky is strong.  Very strong, especially for his age.  He is a very physical kid and his fear knows no bounds.  He jumps off the couch.  He flips backwards.  He runs in to the couch/wall/toybox/chair/you/me/whatever.  At full speed.  He has literally plowed in to another kid head on and knocked them flat on their butt.  This is just who he is, but he doesn't know his own strength and it lands him in trouble at times. 
 
Where does the Bad Mommy part come in?  I suppose I feel bad because maybe, just maybe, I need to adjust my expectations of what is realistic behavior from him.  Of course we all want our kids to be the best behaved with the best manners.  It just isn't going to happen.  At least it won't happen if I want him to be himself.  He is who he is.  I love who he is. I love the amount of passion he put in to everything he does.  He does everything 110%.  He is so much fun and he really is an easy kid.  Seriously.  Well he's easy as long as you have the energy to keep up with him and stay one step ahead at all times. 

That doesn't mean there aren't times that I don't want to ___________ the little stinker.  I'll let you fellow moms fill in the blank because I know you've been there. 

So why do I feel like a Bad Mommy?  I really can't say why.  I guess it's just part of this whole growing up thing I have to do in the name of parenthood. 

So now you know why there are no Halloween pics.  Stop asking.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Good to hear from you. I've missed your posts. Sorry about the Halloween pics... but, hey, as long as Ricky had the chance to go Trick-or-Treating, it's all good!

Funny you mentioned the backpack. Let's just say that I bought the exact same one when Adam started walking and let's just say that *the exact same thing* happened. I bought it for the airport. He fell down more times than I could count... it was ridiculous.

I'm with you on the kids just being themselves. Adam has also tons of energy and is "personality plus". He's also been *very* aggressive with other kids recently and is having *big* problems sharing. I had a ton of "Bad Mommy" moments this week, believe me. You just do the best you can... and take each day as it comes... cliche-y but true. Hang in there. It is very obvious that you are a wonderful mama!!!