Sunday, October 14, 2007

WTF is up with SNL?

Has anyone noticed lately how much Saturday Night Live has been sucking?

It is 12:22am on a Saturday night and I sit here watching the 3rd episode of the new season - isn't this like season 30 something? It totally bites. I saw the commercial this week that Bon Jovi was going to be the host and what girl in her 30's hasn't sang I'll Be There For You at the top of her lungs at one point in time? Heck yeah I'm gonna watch! I was the quintessential big hair rock band fan in the late 80's. My bedroom was adorned with posters of Bon Jovi, Poison, Cinderella, Motley Crue, etc. I have even seen him in concert a few times and loved it. I can honestly say, if it weren't for the cutie on the screen, I would have changed the channel a long time ago. Also, I am posting while watching, so it isn't totally annoying me since I have another distraction.

So - back to SNL. Weekend update with Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler is decent and even pretty darn good at times, but the real news is the inspiration so it is kinda cheating. I'm not sure if it is the writers or crew or what. I don't remember the last time I saw an SNL skit that had me rolling. Just now, I saw a Jeep commercial that was funnier than anything in the show so far. Nothing comes close to Coffee Talk or Wayne's World, Opera Man, It's Pat or even those Superstar Mary Katherine Gallagher skits with Molly Shannon in years. Have you seen the WIll Ferrel ones with him playing Alex Trebek with Sean Connery - Suck it Trebek! That was awesome SNL. Every once in a while they come up with a kick ass sketch, like this Peyton Manning one, but there is a definite lack of consistency when it comes to quality.

Perhaps it is just that I was spoiled when I started really getting into SNL since it was clearly the heyday of the show in the 80's & 90's. The show has been subject to criticism on several occasions which can largely be contributed to changes in crew that the viewers need to get accustomed to. Folks gotta get in their groove and have that chemistry going and such, but the newest folks in the current season have been around since 2003 - so we are wating.... And ya know what - for whatever reason I don't care for Andy Samberg. I think he is trying to be too much like Adam Sandler.

Needless to say, I will keep watching or at the very least capturing it with my DVR and skimming through to see what's up. But it is abundantly clear that we have been in a downward trend for a while now. As long as they keep bringing on hotties like Bon Jovi, I will keep watching, but honestly, I'm not too optimistic.

BTW....has anyone else noticed how cute Bon Jovi's butt is? He is way hotter now than he ever was with all that hair! I think the smile (ok - and the butt) do it for me. I think I might have to put him on my "list".

No comments: