Friday, August 31, 2007

Ahhhh.....

Ah - the joy and relaxation of a massage. It has to be one of my favorite things EVER! I come to you 3 hours before my appointment because well, I don't want to blog after I'm all super relaxed. After all, I just paid good money to have someone work those knots out that are created by all the online time (neck and shoulders people), the last thing I want to do for at least 12 hours after is get online.

I have had many massages in my life, some spectacular and others didn't quite reach the goal. I was first introduced to massage after I was in a car accident about 13 years ago. It wasn't until I lived in San Diego and worked for a chiropractor that I really understood how important and therapeutic this was for me. Of course it is a splurge, but for as long as I can afford it, I will continue to splurge.

I have had many massage therapists, male and female. People often ask what I wear and my response is whatever I am comfortable with. Sometimes nothing, sometimes undies, just depends on my mood. Rest assured, only the part of your body that is currently being worked on is exposed, sensitive areas remain covered at all times. I have always been a fan of deep tissue work as that is what I benefit most from. It is important to communicate with your therapist so they don't go too deep as this will definitely cause some aching later and breathing will become very important. It's amazing what you can tolerate with a little exhaling. The next day you will most likely be sore, but it is a good ache. Just shows things that don't normally get worked were being addressed. Something to remember is your muscles store a significant amount of toxins. A massage gets those toxins flowing freely in your body, sometimes creating a slightly intoxicating effect, so it is imperative to drink lots of water following your massage in order to flush all the toxins from your body.

Since being pregnant, my massages have changed. Prenatal massages are quite relaxing but while considering the wee one inside, we aren't able to go as deep as I would like. Those free flowing toxins wouldn't be good for baby and I wouldn't want to get them into digging that intoxicating effect of a couple glasses of wine just yet. Second, the work on the low back has changed significantly due to not wanting to restrict any of the blood flow to the baby. I can still get a kick ass neck/shoulder massage and if your therapist is really good, they can help loosen up those sinuses for you and might even have some soothing essential oils that don't offend the pregnant nose.

Just keep in mind ladies, you will come out of this kinda oily & slimy (should be water based), with messed up hair thanks to the scalp massage, and all makeup most likely gone (check that mascara after your massage). Make the most of your massage and try to find a quiet spot to enjoy the benefits before those muscle aches kick in. Good luck to you moms of multiples.

*Yawn* I am getting sleepy just thinking about it.....yay for me. I will check back in a couple days with an update. For more info, check out my favorite massage place - For Health and Balance - located in Herndon, VA. Marianne and Anne are awesome!

No comments: